Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sketch up

I posted about a month ago about a human powered helicopter. Well here's an update. I've figured out what to build the rotors out of. I'm not going to go into too much detail, but if you have this months issue of 'Popular Science' and e-mail me about what article the idea is on then I'll let you know.

Also I've downloaded a Cad program, Google sketch up. I figured that when it comes to final design and what not I'll need something like that to put it all together. So I'm going to be messing around with that, while I get a few more things nailed down in my mind.

The other thing I've figured out is the tail rotor drive design. I thought of using a chain drive but I've decided to go with a drive shaft instead, like the kind you find in weed eaters. It will be a bit stronger and if I build a flex type shaft it will compensate for any flexing in the airframe.

The last thing I think I got worked out is the steering. It's actually the first thing I figured out. The wright brothers figured out how to control they're plane in the beginning stages of planing. The reasoning behind that was, "if we can fly how are we going to come back down or turn", or what not. I had to put some thinking into it because in a normal helicopter your feet control what direction you face, left or right. Since your feet on my helicopter would be used to produce the power, you'd have to use your hands to control the helicopter. That's all I'm going to give you all right now.

I'm sorry I'm being kind of secretive here, I just want to be the first. If any of you want to know more about it just ask. I'll be happy to tell you about it over the phone or in person. I just don't want stuff published on the web or anything like that yet....

Well just thought I'd share.

Goodnight!

0 comments: