Saturday, February 25, 2012

Baseball and Hockey

I'm a huge nerd which should come as no surprise to anyone. But my nerdiness holds no candle to the love of sports. Two sports in particular, Baseball and Hockey.

First thing I should explain is the fact that I'm a military brat who grew up with no home town. So the two teams that I'm Married too, The Nashville Predators and the Chicago Cubs, might seem strange to some people. What's more strange to people is the fact that I'm married to those two teams but I "date" two other teams, the Chicago Blackhawks and the Cincinnati Reds. Let me explain.

I've never been to a MLB baseball game. As a matter of fact I've only been to minor league games, the Reno Aces (whom I am also a fan of) and the Kinston Indian's. My Dad being from Cincinnati I liked watching and paying attention to the Reds. My mom, hailing from the windy city, got me liking the Cubs. But I think what flipped the switch for me was the Sosa/McGuire home run derby that mad me a Cub fan. Don't get me wrong I was ecstatic for the Reds playoff run two years ago coming from something like 18 games back to clench the division. But I'm a Cubs fan. I still curse Bartman under my breath every time a ball takes a funny bounce in front of a Cub infielder. Or yell at goats whenever I've had the misfortune of meeting them (I've even punched a few in the head). I think my distaste for cats come from the extension of the curse of the black cat in 69.

I know I wasn't alive for two of those curses but I can't help it I'm a Cubs fan!

As for Hockey....

I've loved hockey since elementary school. I was a Colorado Avalanche fan. Back when Patrick Roy minded net and Joe Sakic and Milan Hedjduk posted goals and Adam Foote threw people into the boards and Peter Foresberg made impossible plays possible. I was a fan. I followed that team to a Stanley Cup Championship and was in Awe of Roy (pronounced W-awe)and his spine made of spring. And then it happened. High school. I lost all interest in sports and found myself more interesting in Girls (not successful) and alternative sports (also not successful).

Towards the end of High school into college I started to follow the Blackhawks casually. They were my mom's team and I would catch a game every now and then. We moved to Tennessee and for a year or two didn't even realize that Nashville had a team. But once I made the connection it's all I could think about. The Monster was loose. The Preds were my first professionally played game that I was able to attend. I love the Preds win or lose.

So yeah that's that. My Sports history in a nut shell. I have to say I love hockey more than baseball but really it's like asking someone if they like Pizza or Ice Cream more.

0 comments: